منتديات بين النهرين | الرئيسية | القوانين العامة | الاسئلة الشائعة | إتصل بنا؟ | رفع ملفات | البحث:
المنتدى في اجازة
أضف اهداء!

,.-~*'¨¯¨'*·~-.¸أهلا بك يا زائر ,.-~*'¨¯¨'*·~-.¸
أحدث الصوردخولالتسجيلالرئيسيةصفحة الاعلانات_البوابةالمنتدياتالدردشةالتسجيل JOINتسجيل دخول_

العنوان:

منتديات بين النهرين :: المنتديات الثقافية :: منتدى اللغات الاجنبيةشارك

Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 7  

الموضوع
heartless man
حلم النهرين 3

heartless man
ألمهنة : طالب جامعي
الجنسية : iraqi
الاوسمة Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 7  000_to10
Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 7  5_ouoo10

مُساهمة Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 7
Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 7  Emptyالإثنين 19 نوفمبر 2012 - 15:40

Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe Summary and Analysis Scene 7

Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 7  Doctor10

SCENE 7

Enter FAUSTUS and MEPHISTOPHILIS.

FAUSTUS.
Having now, my good Mephistophilis,
Pass'd with delight the stately town of Trier,
Environ'd round with airy mountain-tops,
With walls of flint, and deep-entrenched lakes,
Not to be won by any conquering prince;
From Paris next, coasting the realm of France,
We saw the river Maine fall into Rhine,
Whose banks are set with groves of fruitful vines;
Then up to Naples, rich Campania,
Whose buildings fair and gorgeous to the eye,
The streets straight forth, and pav'd with finest brick,
Quarter the town in four equivalents:
There saw we learned Maro's golden tomb,
The way he cut, an English mile in length,
Thorough a rock of stone, in one night's space;
From thence to Venice, Padua, and the rest,
In one of which a sumptuous temple stands,
That threats the stars with her aspiring top.
Thus hitherto hath Faustus spent his time:
But tell me now what resting-place is this?
Hast thou, as erst I did command,
Conducted me within the walls of Rome?

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
Faustus, I have; and, because we will not be unprovided,
I have taken up his Holiness' privy-chamber for our use.

FAUSTUS.
I hope his Holiness will bid us welcome.

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
Tut, 'tis no matter; man; we'll be bold with his good cheer.
And now, my Faustus, that thou mayst perceive
What Rome containeth to delight thee with,
Know that this city stands upon seven hills
That underprop the groundwork of the same:
Just through the midst runs flowing Tiber's stream
With winding banks that cut it in two parts;
Over the which four stately bridges lean,
That make safe passage to each part of Rome:
Upon the bridge call'd Ponte Angelo
Erected is a castle passing strong,
Within whose walls such store of ordnance are,
And double cannons fram'd of carved brass,
As match the days within one complete year;
Besides the gates, and high pyramides,
Which Julius Caesar brought from Africa.

FAUSTUS.
Now, by the kingdoms of infernal rule,
Of Styx, of Acheron, and the fiery lake
Of ever-burning Phlegethon, I swear
That I do long to see the monuments
And situation of bright-splendent Rome:
Come, therefore, let's away.

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
Nay, Faustus, stay: I know you'd fain see the Pope,
And take some part of holy Peter's feast,
Where thou shalt see a troop of bald-pate friars,
Whose summum bonum is in belly-cheer.

FAUSTUS.
Well, I'm content to compass then some sport,
And by their folly make us merriment.
Then charm me, that I
May be invisible, to do what I please,
Unseen of any whilst I stay in Rome.
[Mephistophilis charms him.]

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
So, Faustus; now
Do what thou wilt, thou shalt not be discern'd.

Sound a Sonnet. Enter the POPE and the CARDINAL OF
LORRAIN to the banquet, with FRIARS attending.

POPE.
My Lord of Lorrain, will't please you draw near?

FAUSTUS.
Fall to, and the devil choke you, an you spare!

POPE.
How now! who's that which spake? — Friars, look about.

FIRST FRIAR.
Here's nobody, if it like your Holiness.

POPE.
My lord, here is a dainty dish was sent me from the Bishop
of Milan.

FAUSTUS.
I thank you, sir.
[Snatches the dish.]

POPE.
How now! who's that which snatched the meat from me? will
no man look? — My lord, this dish was sent me from the Cardinal
of Florence.

FAUSTUS.
You say true; I'll ha't.
[Snatches the dish.]

POPE.
What, again! — My lord, I'll drink to your grace.

FAUSTUS.
I'll pledge your grace.
[Snatches the cup.]

C. OF LOR.
My lord, it may be some ghost, newly crept out of
Purgatory, come to beg a pardon of your Holiness.

POPE.
It may be so. — Friars, prepare a dirge to lay the fury
of this ghost. — Once again, my lord, fall to.
[The POPE crosses himself.]

heartless man
حلم النهرين 3

heartless man
ألمهنة : طالب جامعي
الجنسية : iraqi
الاوسمة Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 7  000_to10
Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 7  5_ouoo10

مُساهمة رد: Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 7
Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 7  Emptyالإثنين 19 نوفمبر 2012 - 15:42

Summary

Faustus describes the trip over the Alps and the various cities on the way to Rome. After Mephistophilis tells Faustus that he has arranged to enter the pope's private chamber, he describes the city of Rome. They prepare to go into the pope's chambers and Mephistophilis makes Faustus invisible. When the pope and a group of friars enter, Faustus plays tricks on them by snatching plates and cups from them. Finally, he boxes the pope on the ear. When the friars who are accompanying the pope begin to sing a dirge to re-move the evil spirit that seems to be present, Mephistophilis and Faustus begin to beat the friars and fling some fireworks among them.

The chorus enters and reviews Faustus' career. When Faustus has seen all the royal courts, he returns home, where many of his friends seek him out and ask him difficult questions concerning astrology and the universe. Faustus' knowledge makes him famous all through the land. Finally the emperor, Carolus the Fifth, asks him to come to his court.

Analysis

The opening of this scene shows the excellent use of Marlowe's mighty blank verse. The first speech does not make any significant thematic statements, but it resounds with the beautiful poetry. The passage establishes the feeling that Faustus has seen the world and has traveled over mighty expanses of land. We feel then the scope of his travels into the mysterious lands of the known world.

By the time the reader reaches this scene, he should be aware that Marlowe is not adhering to the classical unities of time and place. The scenes now move quickly about the world and there is little indication of the exact place where each scene occurs. Even in some of the earlier scenes, the exact setting was not important. In these short scenes, Marlowe is concerned with sketching in some of the activities of the twenty-four years of Faustus' life and trying to indicate both the passage of time and the manner in which Faustus uses his power.

We must constantly keep in mind that originally Faustus had made his contract with the devil in order to learn more about the essential nature of the universe. In this scene, we must constantly observe how Faustus uses his power. Instead of discussing and learning more about the intelligence behind the universe, Faustus is now misusing his power in order to perform cheap tricks, which indicates that Faustus or any person who begins to make deals with the devil cannot keep a nobility of purpose in mind. Any bargain with the devil will automatically degrade the individual.

The setting of this scene in Rome reminds us again that Faustus is anxious to see the places of great antiquity. He becomes excited about the splendor that was Rome, which is another part of the classical tradition that intrigues him.

I do long to see monuments
And situation of bright-splendent Rome.

The scene with the pope must be viewed as "slapstick" comedy which would appeal to the lowly element in the audience in Marlowe's day. As Faustus snatches cups away and boxes the pope on the ear, the audience in Marlowe's day would be delighted by this satire against the pope and the friars. The dirge that the friars sing is also ridiculous and parodies a Roman Catholic chant.

At the end of the scene, we find out that Faustus has attained a certain amount of fame in the field of astrology. He has also experienced a measure of enjoyment. He is now more concerned with satisfying his immediate pleasure and is no longer interested in being instructed in the good life. By describing Faustus' return to Germany, the chorus also fills in the transition between scenes and prepares us for the next scene, which will take place in Germany.

صندوق الرد السريع .. نافذة الرد الحديث

صفحة 1 من اصل 1

روابط اضافية تفيدك: الكيبورد العربي :: الشروحات المصورة :: سياسة الخصوصية :: الابراج :: صفحة الاعلانات :: المتواجدون
هذه احدى صفحات منتديات بين النهرين العراقية ذات الـحقـوق المـحـفـوظـة منتديات بين النهرين العراقية 2008 - 2012
هذا المنتدى يعرض محتواه باللغة العربية وبصورة حصرية، لكن يسمح لك بترجمة المحتوى مع مترجم جوجل من هنا
واي نسـخ او اقـتـبـاس لـهذه الصفـحة او اي من صفحـات المنتدى يعرضك للمسائلــة القـانونية و الى حذف منتداك
جميع المواضيع المطروحة بالمنتدى لاتعبر بالضرورة عن رأي ادارة المنتدى وانما تعبر عن رأي كاتب المشاركة فقط
المنتدى يعمل بصورة متكاملة ورائعة على المتصفح MozillaFirefox وستواجه بطئاً في التحميل اذا استخدمت IE
اتصل بالادارة | © phpBB | منتدى مجاني | أحلى منتدى | التبليغ عن مخالفة | مدونة مجانية | الرئيسية

you're browsing one of Beinulnahrain (Mesopotamia) forum pages that shows it's contents in ARABIC exclusivly
you can browse it in your language whenever you used Google translator from this link